The Scott Sutherland School of Architecture Virtual Desktop provides the ability to run a Windows 10 desktop and graphically intensive applications in a web browser. The applications and Desktop run in the universities, on-campus data centre, not your computer, meaning it can run on almost any device. As this is a remote solution, it is highly dependent on the quality of your internet connection.
To access the Virtual Desktop, we recommend you meet the following requirements.
- A modern, HTML 5 capable web browser, such as the latest versions of Chrome. Firefox, Edge and Safari. We recommend Chrome for the best experience.
- For an optimal experience using CAD applications, we recommend a 10 to 25Mbit, unmetered connection.
Please be aware that other members of your household may impact your session performance from activities such as online gaming, media streaming and video conferencing.
Access is for SSS staff and students and provided via the security group Frame_SSS_Users (applied to all SSS staff and students)
To log in, follow the steps below.
- From a web browser, go to - https://console.nutanix.com/robert-gordon-university/it-services/architecture/launchpad/architecture.
- Sign in with your RGU email address and password
- You will be presented with the Architecture launchpad and a Desktop icon.
- Click Desktop to launch your session.
5. Once the session starts, sign in With your RGU email and password
Please note that if the Desktop icon is greyed out, there are currently no virtual Desktops available. The icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen will indicate the status of available Desktops.
- Green - A Desktop is available.
- Amber - A Desktop is starting up; this typically takes a few minutes.
- Red - There are no desktops available.
We provide all RGU faculty members with 1TB of Cloud-based storage through Microsoft OneDrive, which is accessible from any internet-connected device. Clicking on the Cloud icon, (high lighted in white, below) will automatically connect you to your OneDrive.
The OneDrive will be accessible through Windows File explorer as the O Drive. Your H, or Home drive, will also be available.
Session Duration and Inactivity Timers
To promote equal access to all students, the following timers have been applied to your Virtual Desktop session.
- The maximum session length is 3 hours.
- An inactive session, where no keyboard or mouse movement is detected, will be logged out after 10 minutes. You will receive a warning 1 minute before the session is ended with the option to continue the session.
- A disconnected session will be logged out after 10 minutes.
Closing Your Session
As the Virtual Desktop is a resource to be shared amongst all students so it is important to close your session when not in use to allow others access.
- To close your session, click the Cog icon and select ‘Close Session’.
2. After you log off, please click ‘Quit now’ to fully end your session (bottom left of the screen).
Advanced Settings and Performance Optimisation
To help optimise the performance of your Virtual Desktop session, please refer to our Scott Sutherland Virtual Desktop Performance Settings guide.